Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Finger Picks

Page 1 / 2
(@shysue)
Famed Member

Anyone ever use finger picks? Not talking about thumb picks but actual finger picks. Just curious what you think about them. 

Topic starter Posted : February 27, 2021 7:10 PM
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

I’ve wanted to get some. I’d LOVE to learn finger picking but I’ve been putting all my time into flatpicking...I wonder why!??!??

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 27, 2021 10:08 PM
(@shysue)
Famed Member

I've tried using fingerpicks and thumb picks on guitar before and haven't had a lot of success with it. With the banjo most people use them for the banjo roll. I think with claw hammer and frailing style they're not used, but I could be wrong about that.

I think Devin should partner up with a banjo teacher and have lessons here, LOL. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : February 28, 2021 3:32 PM
 John
(@wjssavhotmail-co-uk)
Famed Member

I did once then discovered i was putting them on the wrong way round 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 8, 2021 4:42 PM
(@shysue)
Famed Member

@wjssavhotmail-co-uk  Hee hee, I've done that, too. 😆  Aside from that though, they are tricky to get on your fingers just right so you're not getting the string caught between your nail and the pick. With the silver/nickel ones you can bend them closer to your finger tip so you don't have that problem, but the plastic ones will break if you try and bend them, even if you heat them up first. At least that's been my experience. I started with plastic and then quickly went to the silver/nickel Dunlops and they work pretty good. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 8, 2021 5:16 PM
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

After all this time, today, my grand daughter (almost 8) picked up one of my guitars, held it correctly, and plucked the strings with a pick!! We picked each string up and down a few times. Then even tried picking 2 plucks up and down!! 

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 8, 2021 6:07 PM
(@jrick92)
Noble Member

@jerseychicadee  Sounds like a good start. 😀 

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 8, 2021 8:27 PM
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

I’ve been trying to get her to do this for about 3/4 years. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 8, 2021 10:16 PM
 John
(@wjssavhotmail-co-uk)
Famed Member

@shysue   I gave up,  Flat pick for me 😀 

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 9, 2021 4:23 PM
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

My dream style is fingerpicking but my ability style is flatpicking. I tried practicing finger style yesterday and ran right back to my sawtooth. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 9, 2021 4:27 PM
(@shysue)
Famed Member

@jerseychicadee  That would be a lot of fun if your grand daughter could play guitar with you! I'm always trying to get family members interested in music but it doesn't seem to do any good; they're just not interested. ☹️  

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 9, 2021 8:19 PM
(@shysue)
Famed Member

Finger picking just takes patience, practice, and the desire to do it. Just do a bit each day and you might surprise yourself! I wouldn't go so far as to say anyone could do it, but I think most people could. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 9, 2021 8:21 PM
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

I’ve kind of abandoned it lately. Not that I meant to. I’m just easily distracted....squirrel...

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 9, 2021 10:32 PM
(@jrick92)
Noble Member

@wjssavhotmail-co-uk

Me too, but never say never.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 9, 2021 11:15 PM
 John
(@wjssavhotmail-co-uk)
Famed Member

I was getting a Dull sound anyway as i bite my Nails 🤣 🤣