Forum

Difference in Strin...

Notifications
Clear all

Difference in Strings

(@shysue)
Famed Member

I have what might be a dumb question, but I've been wondering about it for awhile now. Is there any difference between strings you'd put on an acoustic as opposed to strings you'd put on an electric guitar? I'm getting ready to replace the strings on my Gretsch that is a hollow-body electric, and I just wonder if I have the right strings for it. 

Really can't imagine that there would be any difference in the material of the strings, but I've been wrong about such things before, LOL. 

Thanks in advance for your input. 

Topic starter Posted : August 2, 2020 7:16 PM
John, jerseychicadee, Jocelyn and 1 people reacted
Eric Reinhardt
(@rinny51)
Famed Member

I think they are made of different alloys but honestly they would still work on either.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 2, 2020 11:19 PM
Susan Wagner, John, jerseychicadee and 1 people reacted
 John
(@wjssavhotmail-co-uk)
Famed Member
Posted by: @shysue

I have what might be a dumb question, but I've been wondering about it for awhile now. Is there any difference between strings you'd put on an acoustic as opposed to strings you'd put on an electric guitar? I'm getting ready to replace the strings on my Gretsch that is a hollow-body electric, and I just wonder if I have the right strings for it. 

Really can't imagine that there would be any difference in the material of the strings, but I've been wrong about such things before, LOL. 

Thanks in advance for your input. 

I would think there's a difference in the materials there made off.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 3, 2020 2:15 PM
Eric Reinhardt, Jocelyn, Susan Wagner and 1 people reacted
(@k2kwiatgmail-com)
Trusted Member

Whereas we tend to use Phosphor Bronze more for acoustics, electric string are typically nickel. And, you generally use lighter strings on an electric. For example, I like Mediums on acoustic but have stuck with lights so far on my Strat. You’re bending strings a lot more (imo) on an electric. 
Maybe a hollow body would be a bit more toward acoustic strings, gaugewise?

But, I’m not very experienced and don’t play my Strat very often. Hopefully a longer-playing member or Devin will weigh in. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 4, 2020 8:52 PM
Susan Wagner, John, Jocelyn and 2 people reacted
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

I was just on a chat with Andy Powers from Taylor Guitars.  He said strings are like tires. Your car comes with one kind but you can always change them out for more traction, wider, etc.... just know if you go too far you’ll need a new set up. I tried to get them to give away a Taylor Guitar neon sign that was in the background. Andy said he has one in his closet in a box. I told him I have room in my closet. He said next week (Tuesday) they’ll do a giveaway

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 4, 2020 9:21 PM
Susan Wagner, John, Jocelyn and 1 people reacted
(@shysue)
Famed Member

@jerseychicadee  That's interesting. Hope you win the sign!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 5, 2020 5:49 PM
(@shysue)
Famed Member

@k2kwiatgmail-com I didn't know that electric strings are usually nickel, and it would make sense to use a lighter gauge on electric. I noticed at Guitar Center that a lot of the strings would say Acoustic on the package, but not a lot would say Electric. They did have them in two different sections though, grouping all the acoustic strings together and the same for electric. But I just couldn't see the difference in the steel they used. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 5, 2020 5:54 PM
(@k2kwiatgmail-com)
Trusted Member

@jerseychicadee

Andy Powers is a stud. I’ve seen other videos where he says a similar thing, “...hey we use Elixir Nanos as they’re a great all around string...but experiment...”

You would’ve been a legend had you scored that Taylor neon sign. That would look great in any “conservatory”, i.e., living room.

As a hardcore Elixir Nano fan, I am liking the SantaCruz (med tension) a lot. Tone-wise and feel. But, I’ve yet to try any Martin strings so my sample size is small. 

Susan: I do like the D’Addario  NYXL for electrics. Because you’re primarily an acoustic player, I’ll bet you’d also feel better with a slightly heavier gauge string like 11s on the high E. Anyway, hoping it helps you get that hollow body singing!

This post was modified 4 years ago by k2kwiat
ReplyQuote
Posted : August 5, 2020 6:35 PM
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

I told him since it’s my idea I should get one!

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 5, 2020 6:58 PM
(@shysue)
Famed Member

@k2kwiatgmail-com  That's pretty much what I have lined up to put on the Gretsch when I put on the Grover tuners and replace the strings. D'Addario Nickel Wound XL 11/50. These are medium gauge so they should work out fine. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 6, 2020 6:49 PM
Share: