Forum

Bone bridge pin ins...

Notifications
Clear all

Bone bridge pin installation

Page 1 / 2
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

So excited to install Waverly Bone Bridge Pins this AM. 
Beveled then tip as directed by Randy Shartiger (luthier extraordinaire). Took about 3 minutes total using a fret file. They look like tiny teeth!

Topic starter Posted : August 12, 2020 11:49 AM
jrick92, John, Devin and 3 people reacted
 dom
(@dom)
Reputable Member

The guy who set up my Eastman flutes the hole at a slight angle too, with a dremel tool. Not sure what that does.

That guy Randy also talks about putting a plate under the saddle in one of his vidz.  a thin strip of metal with six holes in it to reinforce the wood. I'm thinking of getting one of those, although it's not something i was ever even aware of until watching him. Since i'm using Medium gauge strings it might be a good idea?

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 12, 2020 12:17 PM
jrick92, John, Susan Wagner and 3 people reacted
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

A bridge plate. He goes into detail how to measure to get the right size. He says he loves them. 

the angle on the bridge pin helps to make the ball slide into the correct position when you are stringing the guitar. I first learned about it watching a video by Rob at Taylor Guitar then found similar all over YouTube (of course.) 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 12, 2020 2:37 PM
jrick92, John, Susan Wagner and 3 people reacted
 John
(@wjssavhotmail-co-uk)
Famed Member
Posted by: @jerseychicadee

So excited to install Waverly Bone Bridge Pins this AM. 
Beveled then tip as directed by Randy Shartiger (luthier extraordinaire). Took about 3 minutes total using a fret file. They look like tiny teeth!

👍 👍 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 12, 2020 4:07 PM
jrick92, Susan Wagner, Eric Reinhardt and 2 people reacted
(@shysue)
Famed Member

I was wondering about the bridge plate, too. Seems like it would be a pain to install though, since you can't really see what you're doing. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 12, 2020 7:32 PM
jrick92, John, Eric Reinhardt and 2 people reacted
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

My Fender guitar is only a $300 guitar so I don’t want to put a lot of addons $$ into it. I’m not real happy with my Taylor at this point. I just don’t like it’s voice. I’m going back to work probably within a week. Then I’ll buy a better guitar. I’ve had my Fender up for sale but people want to offer $100 less than I’m asking. I told one guy I’m not Walmart. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 12, 2020 10:17 PM
jrick92, John, Eric Reinhardt and 3 people reacted
(@devin)
Noble Member Admin

Very cool, I'll have to try that with mine also. Randy always has good tips!

Lead Instructor at CountryGuitarOnline.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 13, 2020 3:14 PM
jrick92, John, Eric Reinhardt and 3 people reacted
 John
(@wjssavhotmail-co-uk)
Famed Member
Posted by: @dom

The guy who set up my Eastman flutes the hole at a slight angle too, with a dremel tool. Not sure what that does.

That guy Randy also talks about putting a plate under the saddle in one of his vidz.  a thin strip of metal with six holes in it to reinforce the wood. I'm thinking of getting one of those, although it's not something i was ever even aware of until watching him. Since i'm using Medium gauge strings it might be a good idea?

Can you buy these metal plates or are they homemade?

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 13, 2020 4:08 PM
Eric Reinhardt, Jocelyn, Susan Wagner and 1 people reacted
(@shysue)
Famed Member

StewMac has them, but I still don't understand how you would even install it on your guitar. Guess it's time to look up some YouTube videos, LOL. https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-and-supplies/tools-by-job/tools-for-bridges/plate-mate.html

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 13, 2020 7:22 PM
John, Eric Reinhardt, Jocelyn and 1 people reacted
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

Stew Mac has them. Randy shows how to measure the pins holes to get the correct size. Here’s the video. The name brand is Mitchels plate mate,  uhhhh $50 uhhh no

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 13, 2020 7:24 PM
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

https://www.mitchelsplatemate.com/

only $20 here

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 13, 2020 7:30 PM
(@hscollins05yahoo-com)

Use Mitchell on all acoustics. Never found any diff in sound. To install Put two pins in to align . Pretty easy then. For bone pins be careful. I had Kimsey(See youtube if not familiar) tell me a cracked bridge on a guitar was prob due to bone pins being slightly tight. He said the fit has to be looser than for reg martin plastic or ebony

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 21, 2020 7:40 PM
jrick92, Eric Reinhardt, John and 2 people reacted
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

I finally put my new bone pins on my Taylor this morning along with a new set of Martin strings. I heard my Taylor fall during the night. Cats knocked it off the stand. Lucky I had a basket of unfolded clothes next to the stand that saved any knicks or dings. My cat has been on a tear this week. Yesterday,  my son found a tree frog in my shower! More luck there because if I had seen that I would have flipped out, fallen and died right there naked in the shower! This cat brings me living creatures far too often. He’s trying to kill me I’m sure. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 22, 2020 8:42 PM
Eric Reinhardt, John, Jocelyn and 1 people reacted
(@jocelyn)
Prominent Member

@jerseychicadee

Does your guitar is ok?

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 24, 2020 4:28 PM
Eric Reinhardt, jerseychicadee, John and 1 people reacted
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

Yes. They look like teeth!   Pretty! I put them on my Taylor which lives upstairs. I’m elated with the results. The stock bridge pins are the cheapest plastic poorly made I’ve ever seen. The stock pins on my Fender are a better quality than the stock Taylor pins for over twice the price! Shame shame shame. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 24, 2020 5:19 PM
Eric Reinhardt, John, Jocelyn and 1 people reacted
Page 1 / 2
Share: