Blue chip picks

Notifications
Clear all

Blue chip picks

Page 3 / 4
(@g)
Noble Member

@dom That’s really cool Dom.

I’m definitely going to try that out. What grit sand paper like an 80 or 120 grit?

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 21, 2020 12:14 PM
jrick92, Eric Reinhardt, John and 2 people reacted
 dom
(@dom)
Reputable Member

I'm a knife sharpening nerd and fan of Chinese cleavers and Japanese knives, so i have lots of different grade whetstones. But sandpaper works fine too and the lower grade the quicker. Just be careful not to shave too much off, though it doesn't matter if you do. But you'll want to end up with something smooth so you'll need to end up on a fine sandpaper, or leather strop. It's not an exact science, and you'll notice differences between what you come up with depending on the angles etc. I just try to copy my Dunlop primetones which are pre-bevelled.

I'm using cheap picks to start with that come in packs of 6 or 12, so there's plenty of room for error.

If you google "speed bevels on picks" or "sanding picks" etc,  you'll find lots of info on the topic.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 21, 2020 12:55 PM
(@g)
Noble Member

@dom Thanks Dom,

I look forward to trying that out.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 21, 2020 1:05 PM
 dom
(@dom)
Reputable Member

@rg

Enjoy!

It seems to me the most important thing is to hold the things with firmness and finesse.  A "grippy" pick will slide out of your fingers in a second if your fingers are not on the ball. Meanwhile a "slippery" pick is rock solid once you've got your mojo working and the natural oils in your fingers and muscles cling on to it.

Most picks work fine. It's my fingers that sometimes let me down.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 21, 2020 3:28 PM
(@christopher)

Bought a Dunlop Primetone Jazz III 1.4mm and I am very pleased indeed with it.  My picking is more accurate.  The pick is smooth on the strings too.  It is helping me play much better.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 2, 2021 11:07 AM
dom, jrick92, Eric Reinhardt and 3 people reacted
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

I got the engraved pick and the pick pouch on the Blue Chip Christmas dealio. I have other pick pouches but this new one is fancy. Gold embossed letters! My end goal is to cut one of older ones apart and make a pattern. I bought some scrap leather and hope to make some carving and fancy snap pouches. We’ll see how that goes.  My first forays into my leather carving journey have been enlightening but harder than I thought. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 2, 2021 11:23 AM
jrick92, Eric Reinhardt, Susan Wagner and 1 people reacted
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

I have 4 BCP’s and I reach for the CT55 most often. I think I need to have one everywhere I sit and pick. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 2, 2021 11:48 AM
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

While casually browsing Reverb I’ve found Black Mountain Thumb picks for half what I paid for them. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 2, 2021 12:07 PM
(@shysue)
Famed Member

Oh, that's a bummer when you find something you just bought cheaper somewhere else. I ordered three of them directly from the company. Still trying to get used to it. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 2, 2021 3:40 PM
jrick92, Eric Reinhardt, jerseychicadee and 1 people reacted
Justin
(@infoyounggloves-co-uk)
Reputable Member

I've got a CT 55 Bluechip.   I'd love to like it, however I think it sounds too muddy.   I go back to my Dunlop prime.   Someone said that maybe a thiner model would be brighter, but at the price I'm reluctant to try 

Keep on Picking 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 16, 2021 4:15 PM
jrick92, jerseychicadee, Susan Wagner and 1 people reacted
(@shysue)
Famed Member

@infoyounggloves-co-uk  I have a TP-1R 40 that I really like. The 40 is the thinnest one they have, I think, but it is not a flimsy pick it's very sturdy. They may have a 35 not sure about that though.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 16, 2021 8:00 PM
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

I’ve grown to like the thicker pick but I hold the pick very lightly. When I hold it stiffer the sound is too loud to me. I play pretty soft. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 16, 2021 10:48 PM
Susan Wagner and jrick92 reacted
(@jrick92)
Noble Member

I've been using a TP 50 and like it real well. i have a tp 40 on the way.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 16, 2021 11:19 PM
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

I found my lost Blue Chip TD 40 just now. Last place you would ever look too. In my pick pouch!! Hahahahaha. Been looking for it for a few weeks. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 16, 2021 11:35 PM
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

Blue Chip Picks has free engraving today June 11 through Sunday June 13 for Fathers Day!! 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 11, 2021 7:44 AM
yiwork and jrick92 reacted
Page 3 / 4
Share: