(@g)
Noble Member

@shysue

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 4, 2021 7:33 PM
jrick92, John, Susan Wagner and 3 people reacted
(@jrick92)
Noble Member

@davidkellemsgmail-com Glad your guitar fared so well. I had a broken headstock on a Gibson SG and was so relieved when the repair went so well.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 4, 2021 11:52 PM
John, Susan Wagner, Eric Reinhardt and 2 people reacted
(@shysue)
Famed Member

@rg  That Brad Davis Alvarez sounds great! Thanks for posting the video. 😀 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 5, 2021 3:49 PM
jrick92, Eric Reinhardt, jerseychicadee and 2 people reacted
 John
(@wjssavhotmail-co-uk)
Famed Member

@rg    😀  Sounds great

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 5, 2021 5:08 PM
jrick92, Eric Reinhardt, fransverboom and 2 people reacted
 John
(@wjssavhotmail-co-uk)
Famed Member

@shysue Nice wee Guitar

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 5, 2021 5:10 PM
jrick92, Eric Reinhardt, fransverboom and 2 people reacted
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

Sue have you ever looked at the Breedloves. This is the smallest body style they offer, the Concertin. On eBay the seller is Butler Music Supply. I bought a couple ukuleles and my Fender from them. They always have a Make Offer option and if you put it on your watch list they always send you a discount offer and a make counter offer option. I always try to offer them about 10-25% less and they take it. I seek out the free shipping ones too. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 6, 2021 11:03 PM
jrick92, Eric Reinhardt, Susan Wagner and 2 people reacted
(@g)
Noble Member

@shysueNo worries,

I would love to have that Alvarez.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 7, 2021 12:46 AM
jrick92, Eric Reinhardt, Susan Wagner and 3 people reacted
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

I was checking Butler Music sellers shop on EBay. They have the Alvarez Parlor AMP66 SHB on a Make Offer for 399 free shipping. If you add it to your watch list they will send you a discount price. I usually go at least 10% lower on a Counter Offer. I watched several YouTube vids and the sound is no ice. Good sustain. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 7, 2021 6:24 AM
jrick92, Susan Wagner, fransverboom and 1 people reacted
(@shysue)
Famed Member

@jerseychicadee  I went for the Alvarez Masterworks parlor today. Hopefully I'll have it Monday or Tuesday.  Alvarez had more affordable parlors, but the Masterworks has solid mahogany top, sides, and back, with abalone and mother of pearl inlays. Bone nut and saddle and a hard case included clinched the deal for me. 

I'm really excited to get this parlor guitar!

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Alvarez/MPA66-Masterworks-Parlor-Acoustic-Guitar-Shadow-Burst-1396278325493.gc

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 7, 2021 6:58 PM
jrick92, Eric Reinhardt, fransverboom and 3 people reacted
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

Pretty. Nice accents

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 7, 2021 7:50 PM
jrick92, Eric Reinhardt, John and 2 people reacted
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

The hard shell case just sold me. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 8, 2021 11:38 PM
jrick92, Eric Reinhardt, Susan Wagner and 2 people reacted
 dom
(@dom)
Reputable Member

Yairi / Alvarez make some of the finest Guitars you can buy. Jerry Garcia played a Yairi acoustic a lot, and was a big fan.

So is JP Cormier and here he is talking about them and playing one, if you have 30 minutes to spare. The guitar arrives after 11 minutes. In the words of my late father "He can talk the hind legs off a donkey".

Alvarez is the budget end, and the Masterworks series is the top end of the range and have solid backs and sides. The guitars get a lot of love over at The Acoustic Guitar Forum, and are considered to be outstanding by many at their price point. I'm not a fan of abalone, and they put it on all the masterworks models except the Bluegrass Dreadnought, which is also much admired. The parlor Susan mentioned has a slotted headstock, which is a nice touch too. I'd definitely have that guitar in contention if i were looking at that style/price point.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 9, 2021 4:22 AM
jrick92, John, Eric Reinhardt and 3 people reacted
(@g)
Noble Member

@domThat was a great review! Japan has some excellent craftsman. The bridge detail is a really cool design. I really love that out of the box type thinking. The 1-23/32” neck width I also found to be very interesting. Especially how the neck goes from a v shape up to a c shape as you work your way up the neck. 50 year aged tone wood on the guitar wow! Thank you for sharing this. I really enjoy detailed video reviews like this.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 9, 2021 7:18 AM
jrick92, John, Eric Reinhardt and 4 people reacted
(@shysue)
Famed Member

What brought the Alvarez to my attention was another learning site that I'm on, and the teacher has an Alvarez parlor that just sounded fantastic. I'm not sure which model he had, but he does recommend Alvarez in general. He plays quite a few Martins, Fenders, and others as well. He has quite a collection, living just outside of Nashville he's always haunting the pawn shops and used guitar shops and comes across some amazing finds.  

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 9, 2021 7:09 PM
dom, jrick92, John and 2 people reacted
(@jerseychicadee)
Famed Member

Baby Blue came today. Nice. Nothing flashy. Also, finally sold and shipped my Fender off to Kansas. Hadn’t played it in months and I think it is a beautiful guitar. Sounds awesome, great action but thinning the herd. My son says ‘How many acoustic guitars do you need?’  All of them is my response. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 9, 2021 8:20 PM
Susan Wagner, dom, jrick92 and 2 people reacted
Page 2 / 3
Share: